Tuesday, 21 February 2017

THE NEW FRAME BEGINS PT2

After getting the downtube in place I put the engine mount templates on the jig only to realise that due to the steepness of the angle in the downtube the engine mounts were too close to the frame.
So I moved the engine and transmission templates back an inch to make enough clearance between the engine and downtube.
Then next I had to set up the seat post, which I’d taken the angle off my stock frame for. Once I’d gotten that tube in place, I was able to get the top tube sorted but, as with the downtube, there was a lot of cutting and grinding in order to get the top tube shaped just right to fit the neck of the frame.


img_00b81bd29ba8-1
When I’d gotten the front triangle set up I was able to make templates for the engine and front transmission plate mounts.
I made these out of cardboard first to get the correct shape, and I also made a template for the gusset that I’m going to put at the neck of the frame, and another for the supports that I’ll place under the engine mounts.
img_c492411064a9-1

With the templates sorted I was then able to cut them out of 12mm steel plate.

img_2bdeb1689345-1
img_08284b66641f-1
The next step for me was to weld up the front triangle when I was happy with all the angles and sizes.
Once this was done I started work on the rear triangle – I’d already decided to shorten the rear end by one inch.
I’m using the dropouts from a Harley Davidson Softtail frame as they were easy for me to get hold of.
I mocked up the lower frame rails first to ensure that the dropout axel rail was parallel to the jig.
img_041a3f82a6db-1
Then I mounted the upper rail of the rear section. I found these rails a lot easier to set up compared to the lower rails as the dropouts were already in place.
When I was happy with the position of the rear rails I was able to make the rear transmission support stands.
As the downtube rail will be running under the engine and transmission, the support stands needed to be made a lot taller than the stock ones, so I machined them to match the machining already done on the neck.
img_90ad2dd60984-1
Then it was time to finally fully weld the whole frame and mock it up as a roller!
img_3e847ea9ab76-1
It felt so good to get the frame off the jig so I could see it with the front end and wheels on.
I then couldn’t resist mocking the tank and seat up to give me an idea of the riding position.
img_244c2276e487-1
So I’m getting there. I’ll post more soon!

Saturday, 28 January 2017

Chris' new bike build

I’ve wanted to put all my ideas into a frame for a long time, to make it exactly the way I want it to be – it’s occupied a lot of my thoughts. When it’s done I know some people will think it’s over the top, but I’m not concerned with that, it’s going to be exactly what I like. So here we go…



 I recently went to the local steel merchant and picked out a bunch of tubing at the lengths I needed – which I’d already spent a lot of time working out!


img_aa14c54fdd33-1
I’ve always liked little details that aren’t too in your face, so I started right at the front. I took the neck of the frame to a local machine shop – Arch Engineering in Newport – with an idea. They’re a great father and son team, Keith and Charlie, and they did a killer job of making my idea into a real thing. They also machined the single downtube of the frame with these subtle grooves that I was after, which came out really nice.

img_280b09d582b4-1
Once all of the machine work had been done it was time to get all the tubes bent up into shape. I took most of these angles from the hardtail frame that’s currently home to my ’75 cone shovel.

img_039e633a67af-1
The next step was to set the rake of the front end. Over time I’ve become a massive fan of high steep necks, so on this frame I’ve settled on a 24 degree rake with 5″ up on the downtime.

img_9c36934ea854-1
At this point I was already starting to get excited as I could see it all coming together!

img_a8bf33b386a0-1
So I set the rake on the jig and locked it down, positioning the neck 5″ higher than the stock neck. Then it was a lot of work to cut the angles into the downtube to fit around the shapes in the neck. It was a painstaking processes to make sure I didn’t grind too much off.
So that’s where I’m at now.
The next step is to place the engine mount jig back on, set the seat post angle, get the top tube in place and then make the engine mounts.
I’ll write some more when I’ve done some more so stay tuned…

Friday, 7 October 2016

Summer 2016

We've had a busy summer which means we've been slack on updating our website. Back on the case now though so please keep checking back for me updates.

Here a few shots from the Sailor Jerry road trip we went on in July

All photos by Vince Persaud








Tuesday, 14 June 2016

The Hook Up Chopper Show

The Hook Up Chopper Show is taking place in a new and better location than last year. They have some amazing stalls and guests coming this year including special guest, Paulo from Joe King Speed Shop.


Go To: www.the-hook-up.co.uk for more info and to buy tickets



Tuesday, 9 February 2016

Carter getting busy

Carter busy painting Chris's frame and tins ready for a new build 



video


Sunday, 31 January 2016

February Sale

Everyone puts a sale on in January so we're being different and putting on a 50% sale for the full length of February.

Just making some room so some new products.

Go to: shop.fuckthehaters.co.uk